The ideas and inventions of Taylor Hay! From woodworking to metal fabrication - this is where I log my projects.
    I also do custom work - if you need something built for purpose, shoot me an email and lets talk shop!

I made a lightbulb with welding argon and tungsten wire and a jar!
#lightbulb #glass #electronics

I have wanted a lathe for a fair while, and my mate Ethan and I even started working on building one. But then last weekend at a farm, my friends gave me this antique Herbert Home Workshop. I modified it a bunch, and took the table saw and planer off. I made a tail stock from some old parts, and turned one of the planer beds into a motor mount! It’s absolutely terrifying to use, but it works great!

I made this vice, not sure why precisely, but I like that I can screw it to my workbench, and close it with my impact driver! I made similar ones before using pine, they worked surprisingly well, but this model fixes a few issues. Such as holding the nut better, and having guides.
The pin fits into the channel around the bolt, meaning the jaws can be both opened and closed - previously it was just a way to put pressure on something.
MK3 will use acme rod, be bigger, be steel with tapped holes, have a handle and potentially a cog system that let’s me turn a wheel on top to close it, for ultimate bench top vising.

I made this tabletop out of old pallets to test my homemade clamps. I used the shortest pieces of wood I could, to incorporate the joins.
It turned out pretty crap, because I only used a sawzall to cut it, and near the end I just wanted to get it done. But it served it’s purpose as a proof of concept! The top looks great and I learned a lot about laminating.

I made this tabletop out of old pallets to test my homemade clamps. I used the shortest pieces of wood I could, to incorporate the joins.
It turned out pretty crap, because I only used a sawzall to cut it, and near the end I just wanted to get it done. But it served it’s purpose as a proof of concept! The top looks great and I learned a lot about laminating.

I made this temporary motorcycle seat to last me until I could redo it with leather. I just used a shop towel and some string to see it together with a needle I made from an Ikea shelf support!
It has since been replaced with a nice leather on that I made using the same method.

I made this heater out of an old keg and some random hardware I had about. Last night the whole thing was glowing cherry red! It puts out a ton of heat and actually burns wood rather efficiently… Next will be adding air holes so the door can be closed, and running a proper chimney so it can be used indoors.

I made this table for a friend in Melbourne a few months ago! It weighs a lot, and its incredibly stable on the ground. This one is about 2000 long, by 1200 wide, and stands 730mm off the floor. It was requested unfinished, to let the dirt and stains of life colour it over its life. The individual boards that make up the tabletop have been pegged together, leaving a chamfer groove between each board, but no gap. Its kindof reminiscent of a roadside picnic table - at least for me.

Buy this Table

I always carry a sketchbook around, and fill it with ideas and concepts for new things to build. Moleskines are the classic journal, they are great. But I wanted to make my own… I had leftover leather from upholstering my motorcycle seat, so inspired by my friend Axel I made a few of these journals.

This journal is made with very thick watercolour paper, it is a short journal at 22 pages, meaning it can be filled and retired quickly - something I did intentionally. I want a shelf full of full journals, not one big journal that never fills up. The spine is hand stitched, and the other three edges have been friction cut for a smooth burned edge all around - sick.

Buy this Journal